Friday, February 3, 2012

Is there an advantage to having a non-local area code?

I'm about to get a new phone in NY, and I'm also considering switching up my number. However, I go to school in New Orleans, and I've heard that local area codes had trouble dialing out in the post-hurricane mayhem. I don't know why that would be true, so if anyone could just tell me what would be different if I had a New York area code, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!Is there an advantage to having a non-local area code?
Most people with a 504 area code had problems for about three months after Katrina because the telephone company main office building flooded and all of the switching equipment was in the basement. However, that was almost 5 years ago.



Most cellular programs now don't charge extra to call "long distance", so keeping your NY number won't be that big of an issue. If your NY family/friends might be calling you from phones that do charge extra for long distance it may be a lot better for them if you keep the NY number.

No comments:

Post a Comment