Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Is there any system to the UK telephone area codes?

Bridgwater in Somerset has an area code of 01278, whilst Harlow in Essex is 01279. I used to think that it was in alphabetical place name order, with Brighton being 01273, but Harlow has ****** that theory up. What system did British Telecom originally use to number them?Is there any system to the UK telephone area codes?
01992 is in Hertfordshire, Essex

01993 is in Oxfordshire



So in keeping with the numbering system 01994 is in...



... Carmarthenshire, West Wales



Doesn't look like there is a system then...Is there any system to the UK telephone area codes?
There was a very simple plan.





http://strowger-net.telefoonmuseum.com/tel_hist_earlystd.html

Report Abuse

Is there any system to the UK telephone area codes?
As far as I'm aware none.



If I remember correctly (this is going back to the 01 for London days when changed to 0171 and 0181) - this was decided I think by Ofcom.... I think Bt and other communications oput forward suggestions and they chose!



I might be wrong on that one

No comments:

Post a Comment